Enjoy one of the best hikes in the world and the first alternative hike for those who want to explore part of the famous Inca Trail. Salkantay Trek 5-day hike, recommended by the Lonely Planet and National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine due to its exceptional natural and archeological scenic beauty.
In Salkantay trek 5-day hike, you will hike between the Andean mountain range by the original Inca trail until you reach the Inca city of Machu Picchu. Exclusively by Llactapata, the Inca path is totally original and virgin and for that reason, our trek will be totally different from other groups, because we will be the only ones to pass through Llactapata route.
- Salkantay trek is a rugged route.
- The highest point is 4,630 meters / 15,186 feet
- It has 72 km / 45 miles.
- The minimum temperature will be 2°C / 35.6°F and maximum 28°C / 82.4°F.
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Humantay pampa (Soraypampa)
- 4:30 am. Pick you up from your hotel
- 6:40 am. Breakfast in Mollepata
- 9:00 am. Hiking start
- 11:30 am. Arrival at Humantay pampa (Soraypampa)
- 1:30 pm. Visit Humantay Lagoon
- 5:30 pm. Coffee time
- 6:30 pm Dinner
Day 2: Humantay pampa – Salkantay Trek Pass – Wayraqpunku – Challhuay
- 6:00 am. Breakfast
- 6:40 am. Hiking start
- 10:00 am. Picture time on the highest point.
- 12:00 pm. Lunch in Wayraqpunku
- 6:30 pm. Dinner in Challhuay
Day 3: Challhuay – Playa Sahuayaco – Llactapata
- 6:00 am. Breakfast
- 7:00 am. Hiking start
- 11:30 am arrive at Playa Sahuayaco
- 12:00 pm. Lunch in Playa Sahuayaco
- 1:20 pm. Hiking to Llactapata
- 4:00 pm arrive at Llactapata
- 5:30 pm hot drink time and watch the sunset
- 6:30 pm. Lunch and spend the night in Llactapata
Day 4: Llactapata – Hydroelectric – Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes)
- Very early in the morning, we will see the sunrise
- 6:30 am. Breakfast
- 7:30 am. Trekking start
- 11:00 am. Arrival at hydroelectric
- 12:00pm. Our Last lunch
- 2:17 pm or 2:50 pm. Train departure from hydroelectric to Aguas Calientes Town
- 3:30 pm. arrival at Aguas Calientes Town
- 6:30 pm. Our Last Dinner
Day 5: Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes) – Machu Picchu – Cusco.
- 4:30 am. Trekking start (1 hour and a half) to Machupicchu
- 5:30 am. Take the bus (optional)
- 6:20 am. Visit Machupicchu
- 8:00 am free time
- 2:30 pm. Recommended time to down
- 4:12 pm train departure (it will depend on availability)
- 8:30 pm arrival at Cusco
First Day: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Humantay Pampa.
Salkantay Trek Peru.
To start this great journey, we will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco at 4:30 in the morning, then we will travel for 2 hours in our private mobility to Mollepata town, which is the place of our breakfast.
After breakfast, we will continue for about 15 minutes by car to Challakancha where the mules and muleteers will be waiting for us to take our camping equipment during the trek and it is also the place where we will start the gentle hike for 2 and a half hours to the Humantay pampa community.
Humantay pampa is our lunch and dinner place and also where we will spend the first camping night.
After lunch, we will take a short walk to the Humantay Lagoon, where we will have a spectacular view of the Humantay Peak and the lagoon. You can also take a small bath and after all, we will go down to the camp.
Challakancha (Mollepata): 3880masl / 12726feet
Humantay pampa: 3912 m.a.s.l. /12,832 feet
Walking time: between 6 – 7 hours
Length: 10-11km (approximately 6 miles)
- Lunch, dinner and snack.
- Touristic van Cusco to Challakancha (Mollepata)
- Camping equipment
Second Day: Humantay Pampa – Salkantay Trek Pass – Chaullay.
At 6 in the morning, we will wake up and have breakfast. Then we will start uphill hike until reach the highest point in our expedition Salkantay Trek pass, from where we will have a breathtaking view of the Salkantay Mountain, with a great vertical relief and snow covered. It is the second highest mountain in the Cusco region following to Ausangate, it was worshiped by ancient cultures and also was as a God for them.
From here, we will begin to descend towards Wayracpunku where we will stop for our delicious lunch. Then, our trip will continue entering the Amazon high forest, where we will observe the typical flora and fauna of the tropical forest and finally we will arrive at our next camp Collpapampa.
Salkantay pass: 4630 m.a.s.l / 15,186 feet
Collpapampa: 2860 m.a.s.l. / 9380 feet
Walking time: 7- 8 hours
Length: 22km / 13.6 miles
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Camping equipment
Third Day: Chaullay – Playa Sahuayaco – Llactapata.
After our breakfast, at 7 a.m., we will start to descent following the Salkantay River through a sub-tropical valley, about 5 hours hiking toward the Playa Sahuayaco. In all this area the temperature is warmer and it is rich in flora and wildlife. If we are lucky, we will be able to see the famous bird called the cock of the rocks.
After lunch, at 1:20 p.m., we have a 2 and a half hour hike along the original Inca Trail, which is the most spectacular stretch of the entire Salkantay Trek. On this route, we will pass through Lucmabamba and see coffee plantations. Finally, we will arrive at Llactapata, which is the place of our camp, located in front of the Inca city of Machu Picchu and which is also the strategic point to observe the sunset and sunrise.
Playa Sahuayaco 2060 m.a.s.l / 6757 feet
Llactapata. 2,780 m.a.s.l. / 9,119 feet
Walking time: 8 hours
Length: 16km / 13.6 miles
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Camping equipment
Fourth Day. Llactapata – Hydroelectric – Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes).
This morning will be amazing because we will have magical views with the first rays of the sun illuminating the top of the mountain of Huayna Picchu and the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
Afterward our energetic breakfast, we will begin to descend by the original Inca trail, passing through the archeological site of Llactapata, here we will have free time to explore and take photographs. This small Inca town of Llactapata is still covered in 80% with vegetation, in its surroundings we can see the flora and fauna diversity and if we are lucky we can appreciate the spectacles bear or Andean bear.
After all, we will begin to descend by a zigzagging path to the hydroelectric plant where we will have our delicious lunch and here we will say goodbye to our cook and muleteers.
From the central hydroelectric, we have 2 options to get to Machu Picchu Pueblo: first to take the train (train departure time 2:17 or 2:50 hours) for 48 minutes and the second option is to walk following the railway for 3 hours. We do not recommend walking because there are a lot of small stones on the route.
Once we arrive at Machu Picchu Pueblo, we will be accommodated in the hotel and at 6:30 pm we will have dinner.
Llactapata 2780 m.a.s.l / 9119 feet.
Walking time: 5 -6 hours
Length: 9 km / 5.6 miles
Machu Picchu Pueblo: 2050 m.a.s.l. / 6720 feet
Weather: Hot and humid
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
Fifth Day: Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes) – Machu Picchu – Cusco.
Today is the most desired and last day of our trek because we will visit Machu Picchu which is the best tourist attraction chosen by World Travel Awards and one of the 7 wonders of the world.
Very early in the morning, we will have our buffet breakfast at the hotel. Then, we will go to the bus station (optional). We will travel about 25 minutes or start hiking for 1 hour and a half to the main entrance of the Inca city of Machu Picchu. Passing the checkpoint we will begin to explore for 2 hours touring through all the most important points of this great Inca city, later we will have free time to continue exploring or to climb to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain.
Later, at the agreed time, we will go down to the town of Aguas Calientes for lunch (optional), then we will go to the return train station to Ollantaytambo and by the time we arrive at the Ollantaytambo station, our private mobility will be waiting for us to take us to Cusco.
Machupicchu Altitude: 2450 m.a.s.l / 8036 feet
Walking time: 1 hour and a half
Lenght: 1.7kms / 1 mile
- Entrance to Machupicchu
- Return train from Machupicchu town to Ollantaytambo
- Bus from Ollantaytambo to Cusco
The Salkantay trek will end in the main square of Cusco.
- Small information about the tour one day before the trek
- Bus Cusco – Mollepata (Challakancha)
- Professional guide
- cook and assistant
- Food: 4 lunches, 4 dinners, 4 breakfasts (vegetarian optional)
- Large dining and kitchen tent
- Chairs and dining table
- 1 Tent for 2 people plus mats
- First aid kit and an oxygen balloon
- Entry ticket to Machu Picchu
- 1 night in Aguas Calientes hotel
- Train: Machu Picchu village (Aguas Calientes) to Ollantaytambo 1 hour and a half
- Bus: Ollantaytambo to Cusco 1 hour and a half
It’s not included
- Bus from Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes
- Sleeping bags (Can be hired from us)
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountains
- Travel Insurance – you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip
- Personal stuff
- Additional horse
- Breakfast on the first day, lunch, dinner on the last day
- Tips for the guide and the horsemen (optional)
- Walking sticks
Only for you and also the prices vary according to the size of the Group.
US$ 20 off per student.
|NUMBER OF PEOPLE YOU BOOK WITH||PRICE IS IN US DOLLARS|
|2 Person||USD 680.00|
|3 People||USD 650.00 per person|
|4 People||USD 630.00 per person|
|5 People||USD 610.00 per person|
|6 People||USD 590.00 per person|
|7 People||USD 570.00 per person|
|8 to + People||USD 550.00 per person|
- With the original student ID gives from the university in PVC material and it must have the next requirements: university information, personal student information, student picture, and expiration date valid only for one year, it year must coincide with the year that student visits Machu Picchu, the discount until 25 years old. For more information.
- And also for under 17 years old.
NOTE. We need to see a copy of the card on the reservation. For those who book children, we need a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
you must pay extra, only if you would like these extra services that are not included in the package price.
- To Climb Huayna Picchu Mountain USD 25 per person
- Climbing to Machu Picchu Mountain USD 25 per person
- Vistadome Train from Machu Picchu to Poroy USD 40 per person
Things that we can rent you
- Sleeping bag for the entire tour. We can rent you. USD 25
- Single Tent Supplement, we can also rent it. USD 35 for the entire tour
- If you want to carry personal things more than 6 kilos, you can rent an additional horse and can share between 2 to 3 people. USD 65 for the entire tour.
You have to take
- Long sleeve shirt
- Long pants
- Sunglasses and plastic bags
- Personal medications
- A lightweight backpack per person
- Insect repellent
- Walking shoes or tennis shoes
- Sweater and thick jacket
- Hat or cap
- Bottle of water
- Toilet paper
- Camera, charger and
- Some cash in small bills (soles).